Wednesday, February 3, 2010

This post is awkward.

I'm going to be a grandma this weekend. I know that everyone reading this probably thinks I'm ridiculous for saying that, but it's the truth. My two grandlittles will be revealed this Saturday ... they are so precious (I know who they are already, but they don't know who their bigs...or grandbigs...or great grand bigs are yet)and I can't wait to add to the Theta family.

When I decided to join a sorority freshman year, I was a little uncertain that it would be the right thing for me. I'm not the most "HEY GIRL I'M LIKE TOTALLY EXCITED TO HANG OUT WITH MY SISTAS LIKE ALL THE TIME. YEAH" person ... I've always felt that I got along better with guys. But I thought that it couldn't hurt to rush. College is about re-inventing yourself, right? Maybe there's a part of me that really does want strong relationships with girls.

I didn't know anything about sororities either. The only thing I knew was that two of my good friends from high school had already rushed in the fall (Baylor has deferred spring rush) and it sounded like they were having a fun time... and I figured I didn't have much to lose. My roommate freshman year was also gung-ho about rushing so I was influenced by that as well.

I can honestly say that becoming a Theta was one of the best choices of my life. Without sounding too cliche, I always have a girfriend that I can hang out with - whether it be a study date, going out for dinner or drinks, seeing a movie, or just lounging at home in our socks and watching HGTV. Being a member of a sorority has changed my perception of friendships, for the better.

I'm glad that I decided to try something new because it has opened up my life to many other experiences, networking and relationships that I would not have had otherwise.

No comments:

Post a Comment