Monday, August 10, 2009

midnight carpentry

I have been wanting to do some hardcore crafts all summer and break out my Martha Stewart skillz but since summer school started and I don't really have any free time during the day until 9 or 10pm, I haven't really been able to hone my creative urges.

The great thing about summer school? It always ends. I have my final exam from 6-8pm on Tuesday and then it's sweet freedom. I also think that the lab is closing after Tuesday until school starts (which means that I'm not going to get a paycheck for two full weeks. I'm going to die) so I will have a LOT of free time. I foresee myself writing like 6 blogs a day. Okay, not really, but I do foresee a lot of boredom.

Anyway, back to craft projects. The other day Brian and I found this really great large piece of wood that he thought would be perfect for a table of sorts. So we waited until nightfall and we drove to the place we found it and hoisted it into the back of his truck. I more like watched him hoist it...I didn't really want splinters.

Then last night he was thinking about giving up on the project because of complications with the wood but I urged him to keep going. After it's sanded and stuff we can paint it and we came up with the great idea (thanks to Hannah and Jennifer's love of chalkboard paint) to paint the table in chalkboard paint! so we went to walmart at midnight last night and bought some paint and chalk and I think it's going to be pretty awesome. People can make a list of stuff on the table and draw things. here is the most important part of the blog: out of the scraps of wood that he had to take off, there was this really sweet piece of wood that I saw and started having creative visions about. It's about 1 foot wide and 4 feet long and I was thinking it would be great for either turning into a large chalkboard and putting somewhere (that's the problem...how practical is a 4 foot long chalkboard unless you're a teacher, ha) and I also thought it would be awesome to paint it and then write a quote on it ... or maybe just like one word on it.

Like I said, I'm not really sure what to do with it yet, but it was a great piece of wood that I couldn't let go! I'm still in the sanding stages of the wood right now and yes I took pictures last night of our "construction projects" beginning stages, but no, I am not able to upload yet. So that's kind of a bummer...but the good news is: I'm ordering my new computer battery like TOMORROW.

Have a blessed computer enabled day.

No comments:

Post a Comment