Thursday, July 2, 2009

Good Stuff


Life is truly a blessing.

I have settled comfortably into a career path that doesn't make me want to vomit (dental school just wasn't how I wanted to spend my 20's). I have always wanted to do something involving writing but I have always known that if I chose that, very little money would be involved. Call me crazy, but I prefer to see myself in the future as a financially stable individual. Up until this year, I thought I would wind up being the girl who spent her parents' money on an over rated education, graduated with a Bachelor's of something or other, and ended up back in 'rent's home telling them that $100,000 later maybe I just wasn't cut out for college.

I am a double major of Marketing and Business Journalism and I'm crossing my fingers that my parents will not have to answer the door to my sobs of failure in 2 years. I actually enjoy my classes - that's a first. Back when I thought Biology and Chemistry were my calling, I dreaded going to lab and I dreaded studying and I dreaded tests and as much as I loved the science building, I dreaded it too. Because I knew what was there: Bio Lab and test tubes and rats to dissect... and Dr. David Young.

I did have happy times in Bio lab with Jennifer Sterrett though. We enjoyed our small little asian lab assistant, Han Li, a little too much. I'm pretty sure that I had a crush on him, but I was never able to capitalize on that longing because he went back to Homeland.


Friends have been such a large part of my life lately. I have become closer to my 2 best high school friends and I have become so much closer to my sisters in Theta. I used to think that I didn't really need friends. I have always had a serious boyfriend and I think that I may have had the tendency of replacing girlfriend time with boyfriend time. all the time.

I'm still dating the same wonderful boy but I have allowed friendship to come into my life as well. I have become a lot closer with my 2 best high school friends both of whom have gratefully become college friends. Aim dates and facebook posts and now the newfound blog extravaganza exist as our means of communication, but I enjoy it immensely.

When I first joined Theta, I wasn't sure if greek life was right for me. Sure, I did join a sorority for the constant and unyielding social life and I did want to meet new people, but I also wanted to have a group of girlfriends no matter what. I felt like rushing would be a good and relatively easy way to discover that group. It took me about a year to form connections that I felt were more than just superficial "hey i know you we are in the same sorority but I don't really know more about you than your home town, dorm number, and last name" bonds. I am so so so grateful to say that I now have those girlfriends that I was afraid of finding.

I am so fortunate to know each and every one of the people in my life right now. There is something strangely comforting about singing karaoke at the top of your lungs and dancing with your friends in front of a bar full of people who are just as drunkenly happy as you are.

God is good. As is life.
ps.
very good photographer

No comments:

Post a Comment