Wednesday, September 9, 2009

My job is an awesome job

The hum of printers. The rustling of papers. The chatter of business students discussing the latest Obama speech. and their accounting projects. I'm at work.

You're welcome for setting that oh so serene and inviting scene.

I get to write a lot in my journalism classes. It's nice because I like to write. Always have and probably always will. I've also found out that I have been doing a lot of stuff wrong. I won't go into those melodramatic details, but let's just say that once you get into the tedious tact of "Writing for Media Markets," you begin to respect those news men and women who file news stories in a day or less. It's hard work.

One of my classes is set up to run just like a press conference so we have to take notes in class. Duh. That's no different than any other class. But in this particular class, the notes we take need to be direct quotes by our peers and our professors just in case we are assigned a story to write that night where we have to use those quotes. It's happened twice already. We take notes and ask questions just like in a press conference setting and then we're given 3 hours to file (email) our story to prof.

I like it though. At first I was extremely overwhelmed...especially when the number of students in the class has dwindled down to a meer 9 students out of the original 16.

I think I'm going out tonight. I usually don't go out on school nights, but it's been really frustrating that I haven't been able to sing at Scruffs the past couple of Wednesday nights. There is time for school and there is time for fun. and tonight I think fun is going to get the better of me.

Brian had his first hockey practice tonight and the boys actually have about ten games lined up for their season. They just got a new coach who seems pretty adament about building up the Baylor Hockey Team, so I hope he's not all talk and I hope those games actually transpire and I hope that Baylor hockey becomes a widely followed event.

Just Kidding.

I know that last one isn't going to happen considering the closest ice we have around here is in Arlington. The boys have to travel there every Wednesday night (they leave at 6 and don't usually get home until 2am) and sometimes games are even farther. They deserve to have a real season this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment